As a former “Big 4” accountant, Kristen uses her industry knowledge and expanding network in the Nashville market to help her candidates land their dream jobs and her clients find the perfect person for their accounting and finance needs. Outside of the office, she loves trying all the new Nashville restaurants and bars, working out, and traveling with friends and family.
Get to Know Kristen
What is your role at Vaco, and what do you do?
At Vaco, I am part of our Accounting and Finance direct hire team. I focus on both business development and recruiting; therefore, I partner with clients in the Nashville area to assist in their accounting and finance needs, while also recruiting candidates to assist in their job search.
Tell us more about your professional background. What led you to pursue a career at a recruitment company?
I have a background in accounting and started my career in the audit practice at a “Big 4” in Cleveland, Ohio. After about 3 years there, I decided to move to Nashville. Kaylee Osland, my now coworker, was actually recruiting me for accounting roles; after meeting the Finance team at Vaco, I immediately clicked with them and realized they all had the same background as me. It was a no brainer for me to join Vaco, and I haven’t looked back once since!
What is the most rewarding part about working for a recruiting agency?
The most rewarding part about working for a recruiting agency, especially Vaco, is the impact we get to have on companies and candidate’s careers. When I was in “Big 4” accounting, I used to get messages all the time from recruiters that I sort of brushed off; but now being on this side of things, I realized quickly how beneficial it is to have conversations with recruiters. I LOVE all the connections I have made from working at Vaco. Helping clients and candidates achieve company and personal goals, shaping teams and developing companies by providing resources, and taking the stress of a job search off the client and candidate is the most rewarding part.
What do you think is unique about the culture at Vaco compared to other staffing agencies?
When I was moving to Nashville from Ohio, I was talking to several recruiters. I noticed then there was a difference between my experience and conversations I was having with Vaco versus other recruiting agencies. There was an immediate comfort and trust established with Vaco and a realness that I had not experienced anywhere else. I think that is something that sets working with Vaco apart. Our culture is AMAZING! We have the freedom to run our own desks while using our own techniques, personalities, and strategies. I feel supported by my team and we have so much FUN together. They’re family to me.
What would you say are the top five benefits to working at Vaco versus other staffing companies?
- Being surrounded by supportive and passionate people from the top down. Our leaders are amazing and invested in our success professionally and personally.
- Freedom and flexibility. We’re provided with all the tools and resources to be successful, but Vaco really trusts each of us to do things our way.
- Fun culture. We celebrate our wins and push through our losses. We’re constantly having networking events, happy hours, dinners, and outings. Our culture starts from the top, and having fun while working hard is strongly encouraged at Vaco.
- This is my first experience of a job where the harder you work, the more it pays off. Uncapped commissions are no joke and the sky truly is the limit at Vaco.
- The people. I cannot stress enough that the people are what makes Vaco so different from anywhere else. We’re like-minded, high-caliber, and hardworking people who love to help and support others. Not only for ourselves, but for our clients and candidates too.
What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to learn?
I’d love to learn how to dance, either hip hop or break dancing! I know that sounds dumb, but I am terrible! If you ever see me dancing, it’s because I’ve had one too many beverages. Do us all a favor and remove me from the dance floor!